Wednesday, September 5, 2007

A Trip to Devonport

It's 10:38am on Wednesday morning and I'm wondering what I'm going to do today since there's a constant drizzle coming down outside.

Yesterday I made my way down to the ferry center and bought a round trip ticket to visit the old village of Devonport. The ferry ride was only 12 minutes and the village was super cute! I walked around and looked at all the shops and then climbed up the hill that is known as Mount Victoria. There's a military fort on top and I could see all of Auckland and all the islands/land around me! I saw the volcano (I think it's Rangatito or something like that) and it was just amazing! I have pictures, but was having a hard time uploading them this morning so I'll put them up later. It was cloudy and windy and a little bit misty, but so wonderful! I just can't believe the view.

Then I went down to a little Irish/English/Welsch/New Zeland Pub and had some green-lipped mussels (cooked in garlic and white wine) and an Irish coffee! It was heaven! The mussels were huge and orange...mmm. I finally caught the ferry back to Auckland and then took the bus up to a fun-looking area I found the other day when I rode the link bus all the way around it's loop. The area is called Ponsonby because it's right on Ponsonby Road, and there are a bunch of fun shops, funky cafes and some great looking bars! I just looked around and kept walking into a slightly sketchy area with a lot of adult movie stores and cabaret's. It was fun to see all the people in these areas and it was kind of nice outside since the sun was shining.

I got back at about 5:30 and then checked my e-mail and Lindsey found me. She asked if I wanted to go see a New Zealand comedy since the movie prices were cheap on Tuesday nights. Of course I said yes and she had another German friend come with us. Suzie, is the German girl's name and she goes to the University of Auckland. She was lots fun! So of course we left kind of late and ended up running/jogging all the way to the movie theatre...luckily it wasn't too far! The movie was called "Eagle vs. Shark" and it was kind of a Napolean Dynamite type of humor. Of course this means I laughed really hard (and loud). There was this girl (Lily) that liked this guy (Jared) that came into her fast food restaurant where she worked every day. He fell for her once she went to an "Animal costume" party wearing a shark outfit and beating everyone but him in this ancient fighting video game. It was super funny and they were both serious nerds...he had a mullet! Anyway, I have no idea if it will ever come to the U.S., but it would be worth seeing if you wanted something different for a change.

Anyway, everything's going good here and I've decided to stay at City Gardent Lodge until Monday at least. Lindsey left this morning for Queenstown, and I was thinking about going to another Island today, but not in the rain. I think may just hang out today...we'll see!

-Lisa

No comments: