Tuesday, September 18, 2007

1st night at the Verandahs

It's about 11am (I kind of slept in) and I'm sitting at the Starbucks on Ponsonby because I know they have wireless internet. I'm also surrounded by no less than 10 children, all under the age of 5 and several moms. All of these kids are actually extremely well behaved!

First, before I talk about my night I realize I need to explain myself as far as the cute stingray-feeding guy. The "Kiwis" (the New Zealand people) are still very British; they look British (I hate stereotyping but yes, most have bad teeth), they act more uptight and are not as apt to smile, etc. I've heard from quite a few girls that getting a Kiwi guy to talk to you, let alone ask you out is pretty much impossible. So I honestly have seen only a hand full of cute guys since I left the states and of course, most of them are not from New Zealand...such as the cute (and ridiculously quiet) German guy at the last hostel. Anyways, this should explain my situation a little bit better. Last night I heard that the guys on the beaches of the south island are definitely cuter.

Okay, so I got back to the hostel last night and was able to get my key! I asked where the nearest supermarket was, and the girl said about 15 to 20 minutes walk...yeah right. I was super hungry so I just decided to find something cheap and easy and I'd save the supermarket for tomorrow. Now you're totally going to laugh at where I ended up: Burger Wisconsin, home of the world's best burgers (apparently). I was so hungry and tired that I didn't want to walk any further. I'm not sure if it was the best burger I've ever had but it was most definitely the biggest! Then I headed back to the hostel to sit down with the rest of my bottle of wine and my book.

I didn't once open my book, but started talking to a German girl and another girl sitting at the computer. And you guys are never going to believe this!!! I finally had the chance to ask the girl at the computer where she was from...and guess what? Seattle! But, this is even better, when she was 12 they moved to Ellensburg!!! HA!!! She about died when I told her I was from Wenatchee! Her name's Jessica and she's 29, almost 30. I met a couple of other people too: Anika (I think that's) from England who was sitting with a liter bottle of coke and a liter or more of Jack Daniels, and Russell (30) who's also from England and he's here working at an architecture firm but he did the backpacking trip last year. Russell had me listen to a popular New Zealand band called: Fat Freddy's Drop. Excellent stuff! Definitely reggae/dub music so seriously everyone should check them out.

Then Jessica, Russell and I went for a walk to find Jessica some fish and chips (at 9pm, naturally) and were definitely having difficulties just finding something that was open on a Monday night. We ended up at this Belgian pub where according to Anton (the young bartender) they were "just open". Luckily Jessica was able to have some fish and chips and quite a few dark beers, Russell drank some white Hoegarrden (which is like a hefewizen) and I didn't bring any money so I had water. We were most definitely the last people there and Anton, the redheaded Kiwi, joined us. He bought us all a beer and then played a game of chess against Russell. We didn't leave until almost midnight. I was so exhausted. Poor Russell was trying his hardest to get with Jessica, who ended up walking far behind with Anton...needless to say, it was a very interesting evening!

I have no clue what I'm going to do today...but the cutest little curly-haired boy just waved at me! I think I'm going to like this hostel though...

Here are some pictures I took over the last few days:

A little bit of Sailing, Mission Bay and the Aquarium



-Lisa

1 comment:

Stacey Lang said...

You made me remember my first romantic night at the verandah. I was with my boyfriend that time ( although it was early dawn ) we were looking at the moonlight and the white sand island across while enjoying our cup of tea. :)

Verandahs Adelaide