Friday, September 14, 2007

2 weeks in Auckland!

Wow, so as of today I've been in Auckland 2 weeks! It's been 4 weeks since I left the U.S. and it feels much longer than that! I woke up in kind of a meloncholy mood probably because I sat drinking with the English guys last night! I can tend to feel a bit down after a wonderful night like that...wow, that sounded like an English sentence if I've ever said one. Anyway, one of the guys--Carl--had been drinking with his boss since about 3pm and so I decided to join him, 3 other Englishmen, one Kiwi girl and a German guy when I was finished eating. After laughing for about 2 hours straight I went to bed and slept REALLY well.

This morning I was definitely in more of a "downer" mood due to the alcohol and decided to walk it off. I walked towards Mission Bay which is down the hill from Parnell. Wow, once again the homes are amazing! I walked for almost an hour before I decided to try and catch the bus back. Well, I would have had to wait another 45 minutes for a bus so I had the lovelly task of walkin up the steep hill I had just descended. I was definetly perspiring by the time I reached the top and decided to have a snack or something at the organic coffee shop I've been walking past....bad decision. Sometimes eating "organically" isn't worth it for the taste. I went back to the hostel and ended up taking a nap on the couch.

Finally I left for the marina (I had to be there at 3:15pm today to sail) and got there with plenty of time to have a cup of coffee before I met Tony. We had a whole different crew today besided Tony and I including Tim (tall, kind of cute, in his 30s), Andy (owns his own boat but the motor is broken, maybe in his 40s, very nice) and Andrea (friends with Philipa--that's the gals name from yesterday!--maybe in her late 30s, blonde, has an 11 month old baby). The winds were all over the place today so luckily the race was short. I'm totally sore almost all over both my legs from climbing from one side of the boat to the other! I realize that may seem easy to those of you that haven't done this but: I'm sitting with my legs over one side in between a metal rod holding up the fence (a rope that encircles the entire boat) and some wires holding up the mast. Once they say "Jive" or (damn, I can't remember!) something like "On board" I have to slide under the sail and over the cabin which is covered with ropes, as fast as possible to the other side where I still have to slide my legs over the edge. They told me to go head first, so I've at least go that down. I was able to go much quicker today, but we had to move more often and it makes my heart race for some reason, maybe because I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to fly overboard or completely dissappoint Tony. Anyway, the race only lasted 1 hour and we came in maybe 6th or so because we got a "bad start." It was fun though!

Of course I had another 2 rum and cokes before I left and Andy drove me up to a bus stop on Ponsonby Road. This was another rum race! Tony told me yesterday that he learned from the naval men that drinking "a spot of rum" is the norm when sailing or on the sea. I have no idea when I'm going again, but he said some of his crew returns from various things next week and even if there's no room for me on his boat, he'll find room on another. What a life.

So I grabbed a pizza on the way home and am drinking the fabulous Waiheke Syrah! What an end to a fabulous week!

-Lisa

No comments: